By Kathy Schweikert, Mayor of Lake Saint Louis
Last month I gave the “State of the City” to the Western St. Charles County Chamber of Commerce along with Mayor Nick Guccione of Wentzville and Mayor David Zucker of Dardenne Prairie. The following are highlights of the City of Lake Saint Louis in 2017, as well as some upcoming projects for early 2018.
• Lake Saint Louis, established in 1975, now has approximately 15,500 residents – 60% of the residents reside in the LSLCA (Community Association) and 40% do not, of which the number outside the CA will continue to grow with new subdivisions outside of the CA boundries.
• 2017 saw 81 new single family and 9 multifamily housing permits – this is without any new subdivisions being built.
• Our major employers are once again SSM Hospital West (formerly St. Joseph West), NISC, MTM and the next four largest retailers.
• Our sales tax receipts remained at the 2016 level – $5,000,000 – which considering all of the internet sales, and brick & mortar stores closing, is positive that residents and non residents are continuing to shop our stores.
• Fundraising was kicked off for the proposed “Midwest Children’s Museum” in the Meadows. Fundraising is ongoing.
• A 220 unit, 3 story apartment complex will be proposed in the Meadows at the March 1st Planning & Zoning meeting. Shopping centers with a mixed use component have become more successful and enhance the growth of shopping centers.
• We saw several new businesses open/begin to build in the City (I apologize if I am leaving some out): The Cottages of Lake Saint Louis, West Community Credit Union, Dominos Pizza, Wentzville Fire Protection District Station 4, Overstock Furniture, Orangetheory Fitness, Mathnasium, Mueller Furniture, Gateway to Health Chiropractic, approval of the soon to be built Lake Saint Louis Fire Protection District new firehouse, Regions Bank will open soon, Popeyes Chicken to start construction soon, Storage Masters coming soon, new office building and Learning Lodge Daycare to be built soon at Hawk Ridge Office Park, Shoppes at Hawk Ridge South to come soon (behind Aldi).
• Major enhancements were made at Zachary’s Playground by replacing all surface tiles. Celebrated the 10 year anniversary with a big party at Zachary’s Playground – the 1st All Inclusive playground in the area!
• Enhancements to Blvd Park pavilion
• Master plan for our 40 acre “passive park” along Peruque Creek has been recently approved
• First Police Dept Open House was held with several hundred visitors
• After 25 years, Chief Mike Force retired and 17 year veteran, Asst Chief, Chris DiGuiseppi became our new Chief of Police
• The Comprehensive Plan was adopted by P&Z after more than a year of residential input, identifying land use for almost 900 undeveloped acres
On behalf of me and the Lake Saint Louis Board of Aldermen, we thank City Staff, our businesses, and especially our residents for another very positive year!